Friendswood student advances to finals of Scripps National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A handful of students have advanced to the finals of the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, and one of two students from the Houston area is among them.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood were two of 42 semifinalist contestants who had the highest scores after onstage rounds, and a computer test that included a vocabulary section for the first time in bee history.
But during the semifinals Thursday afternoon, only one survived the tough competition. Payra advanced into the finals, while Dasari was eliminated in Round 6.
The winner will take home more than $30,000 in cash and prizes.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting 26 min ago
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year 32 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today 46 min ago
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos