Friendswood student advances to finals of Scripps National Spelling Bee
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A handful of students have advanced to the finals of the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, and one of two students from the Houston area is among them.
Twelve-year-old 6th grader Shobha Dasari from Pearland and 12-year-old 7th grader Sya-Mantok Payra from Friendswood were two of 42 semifinalist contestants who had the highest scores after onstage rounds, and a computer test that included a vocabulary section for the first time in bee history.
But during the semifinals Thursday afternoon, only one survived the tough competition. Payra advanced into the finals, while Dasari was eliminated in Round 6.
The winner will take home more than $30,000 in cash and prizes.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 13 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey 41 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 1 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos