Baby left on trunk of car when woman drives off
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A small baby is found alone in a parking lot after falling off a car. Now the search is on for the child's parents.
A good Samaritan told police they saw the baby fall from the car as a woman believed to be the mother drove off. Now police are trying to find the parents and sort out what happened.
The baby was found in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 4000 block of Corder on Houston's south side. Neighbors are shocked someone left the small child behind.
Only Eyewitness News was on the scene when police and paramedics came to pick up the injured baby Friday morning. But the saga began hours earlier.
A neighbor told us he arrived home at about 12:30am. He saw a woman who looked distraught near a car and saw the baby's car seat on the trunk. He says when he got out of his vehicle he could hear a baby crying.
He walked down the parking lot and saw a car seat flipped over and the child face down. He believes the woman drove off with the car seat on the trunk.
The witness says he and his wife picked up the child, cleaned her off and waited hours for the baby's parents to return. But that didn't happen. So the couple called police this morning.
When paramedics and officers arrived, the child's grandparents showed up.
Marcus Smith described to us the moments when he first came to the baby's aid.
"When I picked her up, took her to my apartment and looked at her, she had a bruise over her head. So I know she hit the stroller or she hit the pavement, I'm not sure," Smith said.
The baby was taken to Texas Children's Hospital in the Medical Center for evaluation. Police and child protective service investigators are there trying to get to the bottom line of what happened, and the child's grandparents are said to be there as well.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 56 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 13 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah