12 boaters rescued from 3 capsized boats off coast of Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Severe weather created a problem for boaters and rescue crews off the coast of Galveston on Sunday morning.
According to officials, 12 boaters were rescued by the Galveston Beach Patrol and the U.S. Coast Guard from three separate vessels after they capsized in choppy waters and high winds.
The boaters were able to climb onto jetties and stay there until crews arrived on jet skis to take them to a nearby USCG response boat.
No injuries were reported.
The rescues on Sunday didn't end there. An additional five lives were saved or assisted on Sunday.
Coast Guard officials said Air Station Houston helicopter crews hoisted a fisherman to safety after he fell into the water 11 miles off Galveston, Station Freeport rescued a kayaker who was offset by weather off Surfside beach in Freeport and a good Samaritan assisted Station Sabine Pass in rescuing three boaters 23 miles southeast of Sabine, after their boat starting taking on water.
"Today we assisted 17 mariners who were first hand witness to the devastating effects of strong winds and heavy rains," said USCG Lt. Matthew J. Walter, a command duty officer at Coast Guard Sector Houston/Galveston. "I strongly urge all mariners to check the weather regularly before departing the dock and while enjoying themselves on the water. Severe weather can arise quickly and take even the most prepared mariners off guard."
The Coast Guard reminds all boaters and mariners to do the following before heading out on the water:
- Wear a life jacket at all times
- File a float plan
- Check the weather prior to departing the dock
- Have a marine band radio and visual distress signals on board
- Have a registered 406MHz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon
- Have a Personal Locator Beacon
- Do not boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels 31 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink 12 min ago
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 58 min ago
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects 48 min ago
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion 5 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW