Questions raised about jury in former officer's trial
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A former Houston police officer is getting his day in court over the controversial video that showed officers kicking and punching teenage burglary suspect Chad Holley during a 2010 arrest.
The second day of the official oppression trial of former HPD officer Drew Ryser was filled with lengthy delays and side-bar conversations at the judge's bench.
Community activist Krystal Muhammad said, "This whole issue is very suspect."
The main problem was a missing juror who bailiffs couldn't reach for nearly four hours. It was a brief mystery, of sorts, that had many concerned citizens in the courtroom gallery buzzing.
Community activist Quanell X said, "There's a lot happening all of a sudden in 24 hours with this jury that we didn't know about yesterday."
And the problems didn't stop there. Ryser's defense lawyers and prosecutors also talked to the judge about alleged issues with a second juror, after the bailiff informed the judge he was approached by three people concerned that the woman may have been sleeping during witness testimony on Monday. The judge says he spoke to that juror who assured him she was fine.
"Obviously, there are some problems with the jury pool and with the jury makeup right now," said Quanell X. "I'm hoping and praying that the judge will take some time to question all the jurors in this case, and make sure there are not some ongoing problems with the jury."
During the down time, Ryser sat in the courtroom gallery surrounded by his family and supporters.
Ryser is accused of mistreating Chad Holley during a burglary arrest that was caught on tape back in 2010. Prosecutors say the former gang task force officer kicked and punched Holley, and rubbed his face into the ground.
Three other officers were also charged in this case. One was acquitted and two others took plea deals.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash 50 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives? 2 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing 53 min ago
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
49 min ago