2 more HFD firefighters injured in motel fire leave hospital
HOUSTON -- Two more firefighters injured in last week's deadly southwest Houston motel fire have been discharged from the hospital.
Engineer Operator Anthony Livesay and Firefighter EMT Robert Yarbrough, both from Rescue 42, were released from the hospital Friday. That leaves only one firefighter, Capt. William Dowling on Engine 68, still hospitalized.
The firefighters were among the 13 injured in the May 31 five-alarm fire at the Southwest Inn that also claimed the lives of four colleagues.
Captain EMT Matthew Renaud, 35, Engineer Operator EMT Robert Bebee, 41, Firefighter EMT Robert Garner, 29, and Probationary Firefighter Anne Sullivan, 24, all died from the blaze.
The cause of the fire at the Southwest Inn is still under investigation. The Houston Fire Department Arson Division is taking the lead, with assistance from the State Fire Marshal's Office, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Houston Police Department.
An HFD spokesperson tells us that Arson investigators are now seeking witnesses to the tragic blaze. Anyone who has information that may help investigators is urged to call 713-247-8900.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Firefighters are not the types of people who sit still while others are in need. They've started selling T-shirts with the names of each of the fallen firefighters emblazoned on the back. One-hundred percent of proceeds go to the 100 Club. The 100 Club is supporting the victims and families. Anyone interested in donating can do so online at the100club.org.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Notable events that happened on this date in history
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today?
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013 17 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets