Fate of Astrodome may soon be decided
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- This is it. Monday's the very last day to put a proposal on the table about what to do with an aging Houston landmark which holds so many special memories for Houstonians.
There was only a handful of proposals submitted. Officials say only four. But in that group could be the future of the dome.
For years, the future of the Astrodome has been cloudy. Some clarity could come though with Monday's deadline. The Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation solicited proposals from anyone, public or private, on what could become of the dome.
"I'm broken hearted that it's come to this," Ron Hale said.
Hale is among those who have submitted a plan. He runs the Facebook page Save the Astrodome and wants to create a non-profit group that would take donations to make the dome once again a place where baseball is played.
"Either the high schools around the city could use it, or the colleges can use it as another facility to use," Hale said.
It's a Houston landmark known worldwide. It costs millions per year for the dome just to just sit. It'll cost millions more to tear it down, which, by the way, is still an option.
The sports and convention corporation wants to save the dome and turn it into something new. Officials there say they will evaluate proposals based on three criteria: financial capability or feasibility; how it fits with the rights of the other tenants at Reliant; and how it fits within the Reliant Park master plan.
"We're going to analyze each of the proposals according to that criteria and see which one is best," said Edgar Colon with the Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation.
The sports and convention corporation also has its own proposal. They wouldn't tell us any detail about that. Its proposal could incorporate some of the ideas they received Monday. The option chosen will be presented to county commissioners to vote on June 25.
local, kevin quinn
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing husband's co-worker
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- HPD: Homeless man shoots, kills armed burglar 14 min ago
- Stolen Snap-on truck found burning in NW Harris Co. 50 min ago
- SWAT scene underway in SW Houston 5 min ago
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US 11 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Casey Curry's Thursday weather forecast
17 min ago