Virginia man to send 6 chimps to Houston Zoo
MECHANSVILLE, VA -- Six chimpanzees at a private zoo in Virginia will be sent to the Houston Zoo after their owner was denied permits.
The Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago says in a news release that the chimps will remain together at the Houston Zoo's African Forest exhibit.
The Chicago zoo's Project ChimpCARE worked with the owners, Curtis and Bea Shepperson of Mechanicsville, Va., find a new home for the chimps.
In May, Hanover County supervisors rejected Curtis Shepperson's request to obtain permits for four chimps. He has permits for the others.
The county documented at least two escapes from the property.
Shepperson faced a June 23 deadline to get rid of the chimps or face criminal charges.
The Lincoln Park Zoo said Monday that the chimps will be moved later this year.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Home invasion suspects threaten to take baby 18 min ago
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 59 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Boy, 6, suspended for kissing girl on cheek 10 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Oklahahoma not likely to erect satanic monument
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
4 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos