Vehicle slams into Gulf Freeway overpass pillars, killing woman and child
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people were killed in a midday wreck on the Gulf Freeway when a vehicle slammed into the concrete pillars of an overpass.
The car, a green Nissan Altima, was traveling northbound on the Gulf Freeway at about 10:15am. According to Houston police, a woman between the ages of 20 and 24 was driving, a man was in the passenger seat and a boy about seven or eight years old was sitting in the back.
Witnesses say the car didn't seem to be speeding, but the driver somehow lost control and went off the road at El Dorado. The car flipped several times before slamming into a concrete pillar of the overpass.
The woman and boy were taken to Southeast Memorial Hospital where they both died. The man was taken to Ben Taub Hospital, listed in critical condition. Their identities have not been released.
An investigation into the accident is underway.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues