Austin court deliberates fate of North Forest ISD
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Big decisions are expected soon out of Austin, and they're determine the fate of North Forest ISD, which is hanging in the balance.
The state says the school district has been mismanaged for too long and wants HISD to take over.
It is the future of the North Forest schools that's uncertain, and it's become a community issue. At True Worship Baptist Church, prayer vigils have been held and its pastor has said prayers of his own.
"We're in the 12th hour. It's the fourth quarter and the two-minute warning, so that's exactly what we need -- a Hail Mary from the court system," Rev. Bishop Livingston said.
In Austin, a hearing has been underway in a Travis County court regarding North Forest's Hail Mary move to retain control of the district.
Two weeks ago, a judge granted a temporary restraining order against the district being turned over to HISD. The hearing on Thursday was over whether to make that a temporary injunction which would delay the takeover. Should that happen, North Forest could take that case to trial.
At the same time, the Texas Education Agency, which ordered North Forest ISD shut down, could file for an emergency appeal. The case would have to be decided in within a few days.
Back at True Worship Baptist Church, Rev. Livingston is still learning on the power of prayer, hoping his will be answered.
"If it doesn't happen, then we'll pick up and do what's best for our kids, because it's really about the kids," he said.
A decision has not yet been made by the court.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
north forest isd, houston isd, local, deborah wrigley
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home