Austin court deliberates fate of North Forest ISD
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Big decisions are expected soon out of Austin, and they're determine the fate of North Forest ISD, which is hanging in the balance.
The state says the school district has been mismanaged for too long and wants HISD to take over.
It is the future of the North Forest schools that's uncertain, and it's become a community issue. At True Worship Baptist Church, prayer vigils have been held and its pastor has said prayers of his own.
"We're in the 12th hour. It's the fourth quarter and the two-minute warning, so that's exactly what we need -- a Hail Mary from the court system," Rev. Bishop Livingston said.
In Austin, a hearing has been underway in a Travis County court regarding North Forest's Hail Mary move to retain control of the district.
Two weeks ago, a judge granted a temporary restraining order against the district being turned over to HISD. The hearing on Thursday was over whether to make that a temporary injunction which would delay the takeover. Should that happen, North Forest could take that case to trial.
At the same time, the Texas Education Agency, which ordered North Forest ISD shut down, could file for an emergency appeal. The case would have to be decided in within a few days.
Back at True Worship Baptist Church, Rev. Livingston is still learning on the power of prayer, hoping his will be answered.
"If it doesn't happen, then we'll pick up and do what's best for our kids, because it's really about the kids," he said.
A decision has not yet been made by the court.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
north forest isd, houston isd, local, deborah wrigley
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots 23 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Residents say raw sewage is seeping into homes
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death 44 min ago
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit 3 min ago
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot 38 min ago
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year 59 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Man charged in July murder of woman dumped in ditch 27 min ago