Austin court deliberates fate of North Forest ISD
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Big decisions are expected soon out of Austin, and they're determine the fate of North Forest ISD, which is hanging in the balance.
The state says the school district has been mismanaged for too long and wants HISD to take over.
It is the future of the North Forest schools that's uncertain, and it's become a community issue. At True Worship Baptist Church, prayer vigils have been held and its pastor has said prayers of his own.
"We're in the 12th hour. It's the fourth quarter and the two-minute warning, so that's exactly what we need -- a Hail Mary from the court system," Rev. Bishop Livingston said.
In Austin, a hearing has been underway in a Travis County court regarding North Forest's Hail Mary move to retain control of the district.
Two weeks ago, a judge granted a temporary restraining order against the district being turned over to HISD. The hearing on Thursday was over whether to make that a temporary injunction which would delay the takeover. Should that happen, North Forest could take that case to trial.
At the same time, the Texas Education Agency, which ordered North Forest ISD shut down, could file for an emergency appeal. The case would have to be decided in within a few days.
Back at True Worship Baptist Church, Rev. Livingston is still learning on the power of prayer, hoping his will be answered.
"If it doesn't happen, then we'll pick up and do what's best for our kids, because it's really about the kids," he said.
A decision has not yet been made by the court.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
north forest isd, houston isd, local, deborah wrigley
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 17 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- River Oaks residents fighting to stop office building 13 min ago
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Rice U police officers cleared of wrongdoing in man's arrest
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Woman charged after allegedly kicking son in Walmart 30 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home