Harris County attorney suing southwest Houston sports bar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have a crime tracker alert for residents in southwest Houston. The county attorney has set his sights on a night club after another deadly shooting in the parking lot.
It happened over the weekend at Bissonnet near Plainfield.
Neighbors say that part of Bissonnet is commonly known as "the tracks" because of the high volume of drugs and prostitution in the area. The county attorney says one of the main nuisances is this after hours club and this shopping center.
It's an after-hours club and strip center at the center of another controversy. Cube's Sports Bar's parking lot became the scene of another murder this week. This time, police say the bar's security guard, William Odell Bondurant, shot and killed a coworker after a fist fight.
"They sell drugs here, they do the prostitution here, then the gambling goes on. This club has been too much," shopping center patron John Shike said.
Shike and business owners in this complex say they've long complained to police about the sports bar and other nuisances this area attracts.
"Many businesses are leaving because of this thing," Shike said.
Now, Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan and his staff are working to do something about the problems. Ryan recently filed a lawsuit against Cube's and the shopping center's owner.
"In this parking lot in back of us, at least three murders have occurred in the last eight months," Ryan said.
Ryan and Assistant County Attorney Laura Cahill say this area around the 9600 block of Bissonnet has had more than 1,000 police service calls in the past two years for crimes including murders, shootings, robberies, drugs and prostitution.
"Besides the three murders, robberies, prostitution, all types of thefts -- from individuals on their bodies all the way to their cars being broken into -- and then that crime spilling over into other areas to include that motel and also residential areas," Ryan said.
A lawyer for Cube's Sports Bar says he wasn't ready to comment on the county's lawsuit nor the recent murder here. We're still working to connect with the shopping center's lawyer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 45 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends 15 min ago
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak 1 min ago
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
28 min ago