Harris County attorney suing southwest Houston sports bar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have a crime tracker alert for residents in southwest Houston. The county attorney has set his sights on a night club after another deadly shooting in the parking lot.
It happened over the weekend at Bissonnet near Plainfield.
Neighbors say that part of Bissonnet is commonly known as "the tracks" because of the high volume of drugs and prostitution in the area. The county attorney says one of the main nuisances is this after hours club and this shopping center.
It's an after-hours club and strip center at the center of another controversy. Cube's Sports Bar's parking lot became the scene of another murder this week. This time, police say the bar's security guard, William Odell Bondurant, shot and killed a coworker after a fist fight.
"They sell drugs here, they do the prostitution here, then the gambling goes on. This club has been too much," shopping center patron John Shike said.
Shike and business owners in this complex say they've long complained to police about the sports bar and other nuisances this area attracts.
"Many businesses are leaving because of this thing," Shike said.
Now, Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan and his staff are working to do something about the problems. Ryan recently filed a lawsuit against Cube's and the shopping center's owner.
"In this parking lot in back of us, at least three murders have occurred in the last eight months," Ryan said.
Ryan and Assistant County Attorney Laura Cahill say this area around the 9600 block of Bissonnet has had more than 1,000 police service calls in the past two years for crimes including murders, shootings, robberies, drugs and prostitution.
"Besides the three murders, robberies, prostitution, all types of thefts -- from individuals on their bodies all the way to their cars being broken into -- and then that crime spilling over into other areas to include that motel and also residential areas," Ryan said.
A lawyer for Cube's Sports Bar says he wasn't ready to comment on the county's lawsuit nor the recent murder here. We're still working to connect with the shopping center's lawyer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days