HPD-HFD 'Guns and Hoses' hockey game raises more than $25K for firefighters, families
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As Houston firefighters continue to heal from last month's deadly motel fire, they're receiving some help from their friends in the Houston Police Department.
A team of police officers faced off against a team of firefighters for a "Guns and Hoses" hockey benefit Saturday Ice Skate USA at Memorial City Mall.
A police officer who helped organize the game said police know what it's like to lose a colleague in the line of duty, and they wanted to give back to the fire department.
"The firemen help us out every night. We've got police officers getting hurt out there. HFD takes care of us. They get us to the hospital. They do everything they can to get us in one piece," Ofc. Don Egdorf said. "This is just our way to show them a little support and appreciation."
The game went to a penalty shootout with HPD winning 4-3.
Even though HFD lost the game, it was a success for the department. Organizers say the event raised more than $25,000 to help the families of the four firefighters killed and 13 injured in the motel fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Beyonce's holiday surprise 2 min ago
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast 6 min ago
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game 15 min ago
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin inks extension
- Two Texas veterans, both age 107, meet for 1st time 18 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor