HPD-HFD 'Guns and Hoses' hockey game raises more than $25K for firefighters, families
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As Houston firefighters continue to heal from last month's deadly motel fire, they're receiving some help from their friends in the Houston Police Department.
A team of police officers faced off against a team of firefighters for a "Guns and Hoses" hockey benefit Saturday Ice Skate USA at Memorial City Mall.
A police officer who helped organize the game said police know what it's like to lose a colleague in the line of duty, and they wanted to give back to the fire department.
"The firemen help us out every night. We've got police officers getting hurt out there. HFD takes care of us. They get us to the hospital. They do everything they can to get us in one piece," Ofc. Don Egdorf said. "This is just our way to show them a little support and appreciation."
The game went to a penalty shootout with HPD winning 4-3.
Even though HFD lost the game, it was a success for the department. Organizers say the event raised more than $25,000 to help the families of the four firefighters killed and 13 injured in the motel fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents die from blunt force trauma 16 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now 2 min ago
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston 5 min ago
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach 56 min ago
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans 52 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
34 min ago