Amarillo man travels with family to Houston for 5K
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man from the Texas Panhandle spent this Father's Day weekend in Houston.
Doug Schmidt drove a long way to participate in a cause close to home for him.
It's not your usual Father's Day gift -- sweaty T-shirts, worn sneakers and a hefty workout -- but for this father, it's the gift of a lifetime.
"It's amazing. I think Father's Day is what it's all about," Schmidt said. "I look back at all the Father's Days I had with my dad."
Schmidt and his family drove hundreds of miles from Amarillo for the Dad's Day 5K Run and Walk. The prostate cancer awareness event is a cause close to his heart.
"My grand-dad died of prostate cancer, so we wanted to make it special, so we drove down to spend the weekend here."
And while this event means so much, with all four of his kids by his side, it's about much more: the gift of fatherhood.
"It coincided with Father's Day weekend, and we wanted to do something special for Doug," Schmidt's wife, Rhonda, said.
"It's, uh, it's truly a blessing," Schmidt said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 48 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary 24 min ago
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Which food trucks had violations?
28 min ago