Lifeguard drowns while swimming laps
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- A pool lifeguard drowned Saturday afternoon in the Katy area.
It happened at 4pm at the Rosewood Recreation Center in the 26400 block of Cinco Terrace Drive. Lifeguards and other people at the pool performed CPR on the victim, identified as Dustin Kruthaupt, 19. Kruthaupt was also a lifeguard at the Rosewood Center.
The Fulshear Fire Department arrived and took over CPR attempts to revive the victim. Fort Bend County EMS personnel transported him to Memorial Hermann Hospital - Katy, where he was declared dead.
Witnesses reported Kruthaupt was swimming laps in the pool and at one point attempted to swim the length of the pool underwater. Lifeguards saw him surface and he began floating and they immediately dragged him out of the pool and began conducting CPR.
No foul play was evident at the scene. An autopsy was ordered.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident