Boy, 15, bitten by shark at Surfside Beach
SURFSIDE, TX (KTRK) -- A 15-year-old boy was airlifted to a hospital after he fought off a shark at Surfside beach Monday afternoon.
It happened around 2:45pm in a section of the beach about three miles north of the town of Surfside.
A church group was out in the water and a 15-year-old boy from Needville was about waist-deep when he encountered a four-foot shark.
Freeport police say the teen was bitten twice, once on his left leg and once on his left hand.
"I hope this teenager grows up to be a cop and gets my back," EMT Zuandra Monnat said. "He fought off this shark. It bit his leg and he literally tore this shark off of him and that's how he got the lacerations to his hands."
Monnat happened to be on the beach at the time of the attack and provided first aid.
"Initially, I saw a boy who was brought onto the beach," she said. "As far as his injury goes, he was bitten on the leg. He had multiple lacerations on his hand. We bandaged that up using a multi-trauma, which is basically a very big, large band-aid and we got him over to Life Flight as quick as we could."
The teen was then transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening. Authorities say he was airlifted because of the nature of the injuries.
"Any time that you have that you actually use on a day-to-day basis, being your hands or your head or anything like that, it's more of a quality-of-life situation," Monnat said. "We want him to be able to have all the mobility of his hands and not lose with his hands. Everything was connected, it was just more of wanting to make sure everything continued to work properly."
Authorities say this was the first shark attack to be reported at Surfside beach in more than a couple decades.
"They've had shark attacks on the county beach and in Freeport, but here in Surfside, this is the first one in 25, 30 years," Surfside Assistant Police Chief Gregg Bisso said.
The teen's identity hasn't been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena 18 min ago
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire 20 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan 11 min ago
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive