Apartment residents fire through door, killing crowbar-wielding woman
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police believe a woman found dead on the grounds of a northwest side apartment complex was a burglar, killed by the person she was attempting to rob.
The woman was discovered after 5am on Hollister and Pine Grove. The victim appears to be in her 20s.
Investigators spent hours behind the apartment complex gates gathering information and evidence about just what happened. The lead sergeant at the scene said that overnight a young woman carrying a crowbar tried to break into an apartment through the front door. The homeowners figured out what was happening and fired three shots through the door, killing the suspect.
Sgt. Thomas Simmons with HPD Homicide said, "At this point, they don't know why. They don't know her and don't know why this happened."
The woman was found with a crowbar still in her hands. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The shots fired narrowly missed two children sleeping in a neighboring apartment.
"I was just lying down with my eyes closed, and all I hear is a loud gunshot, and then the sheetrock just fell all over my bed and I woke up," said 15-year-old Andrew Zuniga.
The residents were taken in for questioning, but no charges have been filed. Police haven't identified the woman, and no one at the complex seems to know her.
Authorities have lots of questions to sort out as the investigation continues.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 31 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 5 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 34 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 44 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 14 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 23 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 6 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 29 min ago