Homeowner shoots intruder in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner opened fire on an intruder in his northwest Harris County home overnight. The intruder was hit, but at least one bullet hit a home next door.
Neighbors in the Ponderosa Forest subdivision were surprised to hear about the early morning burglary attempt in the 1600 block of Sweet Grass Trail that ended with the homeowner shooting the suspect twice.
"It's kind of scary, yeah," said one neighbor.
David Tiger says the neighborhood is generally quiet, although property crime is not unheard of.
"The neighborhood has been real safe. FM 1960 has been rotten the last few years, so it's kind of shocking to hear that they're coming back in the neighborhood," he said.
The homeowner in this case wasn't injured, and the suspect was taken to the hospital. There was some collateral damage as a result of the shooting; a 14-year-old girl who suffered a seizure after a stray bullet entered her home.
"That was scary. She seized for a good three minutes and turned purple," said the teen's mother, Rosario Alcarez. "Luckily, I'm a nurse and my daughter's a nurse, and she just kind of hovered over her."
Still, neighbors supported the homeowner's actions.
"The reason I bought my gun is because I hear about things like this," said neighbor John Antell.
Antell has lived there more than 40 years. He's glad the homeowner wasn't hurt, but doesn't like knowing houses are being broken into.
"It's something very serious," he said. "It could happen to me tomorrow."
The mother of the girl who suffered the seizure tells us her daughter is fine now, and back home from the hospital. She says that bullet that entered her home missed he daughter by only two feet, which is likely why she had the reaction she did.
As for the suspect, he is expected to survive. The homeowner is not facing charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 16 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 9 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal