Girl escapes would-be kidnapper in east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are still searching for the man who tried to kidnap a little girl as she walked home from school in southeast Houston yesterday afternoon.
It happened near 71st and Sherman.
Jasmine Vazquez is celebrating her 13th birthday today; a major celebration, after what happened to her on the way home from school.
"I was kinda scared. I didn't think I was gonna make it," she said.
Police confirm she was walking in a southeast Houston neighborhood shortly after 3pm Thursday when she was approached by a stranger who tried to coerce her to get into his car.
"He said to 'get in my car,'" Vazquez said.
"And what did you do?" we asked.
"Kept walking," she said.
Vazquez kept her cool, but the man came back. This time, he was on foot and began chasing her. Her mother's boyfriend, who was picking her up from school, showed up just in time.
"I told him, 'Come here,' and he took off running. And when he took off running, I started chasing him," Mike DeLeon said.
Jasmine's mother, Adriana Garcia, is relieved to have her daughter back.
"You don't know what's going on with other people's minds," Garcia said.
But along with police, she is concerned about the safety of other people's children.
"Right now, these days, you can't let nobody walk -- not even boys or girls -- walk around by themselves," Garcia said.
"Definitely, most definitely, this is uncalled for," HPD Officer Adrian Lopez said.
Police are still looking for the man, who's been described as a black man between the ages of 28 and 31. He is about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs around 165 pounds. His head was shaved and he was wearing sunglasses, a gray V-neck shirt and blue Dickies pants.
He was driving a newer-model black four-door sedan possibly a Chevy or a Ford.
Anyone with information is asked to call Houston police.
local, katie mccall
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?