Fire breaks out while 6-week-old baby home alone
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A small kitchen fire at a Pasadena apartment could have turned into a tragedy for a newborn, and now that baby's mother is facing charges.
At about 9:30am Wednesday, workers in the 3600 block of Shaver heard a smoke detector beeping in an apartment. They retrieved a key from the office, found a small fire burning in the kitchen and put it out. As they checked out the rest of the apartment, the workers found a six-week-old infant asleep on the bed, with no adults in the apartment.
Pasadena firefighters and police were called, as well as arson investigators. The newborn was treated for possible smoke inhalation, but was otherwise unhurt.
Arson investigators determined the cause of the fire was food left cooking unattended. Authorities say the infant's mother, Nivda Arzu Barrios, left the newborn sleeping on the bed while she went to the store a few blocks away.
Barrios, 30, is charged with child endangerment.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida 29 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...