Fire breaks out while 6-week-old baby home alone
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A small kitchen fire at a Pasadena apartment could have turned into a tragedy for a newborn, and now that baby's mother is facing charges.
At about 9:30am Wednesday, workers in the 3600 block of Shaver heard a smoke detector beeping in an apartment. They retrieved a key from the office, found a small fire burning in the kitchen and put it out. As they checked out the rest of the apartment, the workers found a six-week-old infant asleep on the bed, with no adults in the apartment.
Pasadena firefighters and police were called, as well as arson investigators. The newborn was treated for possible smoke inhalation, but was otherwise unhurt.
Arson investigators determined the cause of the fire was food left cooking unattended. Authorities say the infant's mother, Nivda Arzu Barrios, left the newborn sleeping on the bed while she went to the store a few blocks away.
Barrios, 30, is charged with child endangerment.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 9 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 26 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 19 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 21 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
19 min ago