Fire breaks out while 6-week-old baby home alone
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A small kitchen fire at a Pasadena apartment could have turned into a tragedy for a newborn, and now that baby's mother is facing charges.
At about 9:30am Wednesday, workers in the 3600 block of Shaver heard a smoke detector beeping in an apartment. They retrieved a key from the office, found a small fire burning in the kitchen and put it out. As they checked out the rest of the apartment, the workers found a six-week-old infant asleep on the bed, with no adults in the apartment.
Pasadena firefighters and police were called, as well as arson investigators. The newborn was treated for possible smoke inhalation, but was otherwise unhurt.
Arson investigators determined the cause of the fire was food left cooking unattended. Authorities say the infant's mother, Nivda Arzu Barrios, left the newborn sleeping on the bed while she went to the store a few blocks away.
Barrios, 30, is charged with child endangerment.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Severe weather possible this morning
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 1 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- New Houston light rail line to open for business 49 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 45 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 36 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
59 min ago