One injured in apparent street racing crash in Baytown
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- At least one person has been hurt after a possible street racing crash. The crash happened Monday afternoon along West Sterling near Pruett in Baytown, and witnesses tell us one of the drivers involved in the race took off.
Police are searching for a second driver who didn't stick around after the crash. Witnesses say it happened very quickly. They say a car was racing with a truck when it hit a pole head on.
An eyewitness says two cars -- a tan Cadillac with two women inside, and a silver Dodge pickup truck with a male driver -- were racing each other down West Sterling at speeds of close to 80 miles per hour, even though signs in the area warn that there may be pedestrians crossing.
Those who saw the crash say the Cadillac swerved and struck the pole, tearing the car apart. They say the silver Dodge pickup fled the scene, and did not attempt to render aid to the injured driver in the Cadillac. She had to be taken to the hospital by Life Flight.
"I just asked her is she OK and did she want me to call 911? She said yes please get them, because she couldn't move her arms," recalled eyewitness Ricky Harmon. "I was already on with dispatch by that time."
A passenger in that Cadillac was able to get out of the wreckage and went home with relatives. Police continue to search for the silver Dodge four-door pickup truck that fled the scene of the accident.
Police say the driver in the Cadillac did not have a license.
local, katie mccall
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 53 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 53 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 52 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer