One injured in apparent street racing crash in Baytown
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- At least one person has been hurt after a possible street racing crash. The crash happened Monday afternoon along West Sterling near Pruett in Baytown, and witnesses tell us one of the drivers involved in the race took off.
Police are searching for a second driver who didn't stick around after the crash. Witnesses say it happened very quickly. They say a car was racing with a truck when it hit a pole head on.
An eyewitness says two cars -- a tan Cadillac with two women inside, and a silver Dodge pickup truck with a male driver -- were racing each other down West Sterling at speeds of close to 80 miles per hour, even though signs in the area warn that there may be pedestrians crossing.
Those who saw the crash say the Cadillac swerved and struck the pole, tearing the car apart. They say the silver Dodge pickup fled the scene, and did not attempt to render aid to the injured driver in the Cadillac. She had to be taken to the hospital by Life Flight.
"I just asked her is she OK and did she want me to call 911? She said yes please get them, because she couldn't move her arms," recalled eyewitness Ricky Harmon. "I was already on with dispatch by that time."
A passenger in that Cadillac was able to get out of the wreckage and went home with relatives. Police continue to search for the silver Dodge four-door pickup truck that fled the scene of the accident.
Police say the driver in the Cadillac did not have a license.
local, katie mccall
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home