Police: Mom left 4 kids alone in motel in Rosenberg
ROSENBERG, TX (KTRK) -- It's not exactly a case of home alone but just as serious. Several children were left alone in a motel in Rosenberg Monday evening.
The children were discovered at the Woodland Inn and Suites, and now the mother of those children is facing charges and the children are in state custody.
Sarah Gonzales, 25, is facing four counts of endangering a child.
The scene started to unfold just after 3pm at the Woodland Inn And Suites. Investigators say they got a tip the children were alone.
"I just happened to see the mom. Once everything went down, I kind of went inside and peeked out every once in a while but nobody stayed out to see everything," a neighbor, who identified himself only as Ren, said.
Police say they found four children alone without their mother who had been living in Room 118.
"It's pretty shocking to find a six-month-old to a nine-year-old left alone without any supervision," Rosenberg Police Department Asst. Chief Dallis Warren said.
While officers were on scene, the mother arrived and identified her as Gonzales. They spent the evening questioning her to find out where she was and what she'd been doing.
"During the course of the investigation, we found out that she had left the children alone in the room several times throughout the day, ranging anywhere from 25 minutes to well over an hour," Warren said.
The children were taken into CPS custody and arrangements have been made for them to be with other family members for now.
Neighbors say they believe the mom had been living here for about a month.
"I'm glad maybe this is will wake her up and let her know you can't leave your kids home alone anymore," Ren said.
Gonzales will be transferred to the Fort Bend County Jail and is expected to appear in court on Tuesday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Vigil held for women slain in Galveston County
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Woman delivers her own baby on drive to hospital
- Police: Man tried to run over triple amputee in N. Houston
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 3 dead
- Authorities investigating second auto-pedestrian in NW Harris...
- George Zimmerman's parents suing Roseanne Barr
- Man steals SUV with child inside, carjacks two others
- Elementary school seeks to offer kids nutritious food
- Video shows suspects setting fire to store full of puppies
- WWII vets help mark 100th anniversary of Battleship Texas
- River Oaks-area residents fighting to stop office building