Suspected shoplifter allegedly shot by store owner in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspected shoplifter is recovering, after being shot by a store owner at the Club Creek shopping center in southwest Houston yesterday.
Eyewitnesses say the owner of IMS Beauty Supply and Liquor Store tracked down a man and shot him in the parking lot. Police say the store owner, Peter Onuoha, claims the alleged thief came into his store, stole some merchandise, walked out and headed to a tire shop a few doors away.
Eyewitnesses at a tire shop say they were thrown off guard when Onuoha rushed inside and began pistol whipping the man, yelling that he'd stolen from him.
Those workers ordered the two outside. That's when they say the Onuoha fired several shots at the man, hitting him in the leg with a bullet.
"I was spooked out," said eyewitness Martin Cardenas. "He came in there with the handgun. What if he would have shot at him and accidentally shot somebody else, just not knowing what was going on."
We're told the injured man is a regular customer in the shopping center. Onuoha is charged with aggravated assault.
local, demond fernandez
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death 1 min ago
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks 49 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date 32 min ago
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges 3 min ago
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire