Guards exchange gunfire with suspects during robbery attempt in NW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a violent armored car robbery attempt led to a carjacking in northwest Houston Wednesday. It all started at a strip shopping center on Wirt.
In the 2200 block of Wirt just south of Kempwood at about 3:15pm, two armored vehicle guards exchanged gunfire with two armed robbers. The holdup was unsuccessful and the suspects ran off.
"We heard the gunshots. We were over at the carwash, and then they came here and starting shooting some more," said eyewitness Andre Mora. "When they started shooting toward the carwash, we heard the clinks on the gate, so we ducked down. After we stopped hearing the gunshots, we actually got up. I stood up and I could see them running down that street."
We're told the two suspects carjacked somewhere just around the corner in their effort to get away. That vehicle was quickly ditched, and they got into another vehicle as they fled the scene.
The witness says the suspects were running down the street with their weapons in plain sight.
The police investigation is ongoing.
local, jessica willey
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 29 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Man banned from Walmart for life
19 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos