Guards exchange gunfire with suspects during robbery attempt in NW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say a violent armored car robbery attempt led to a carjacking in northwest Houston Wednesday. It all started at a strip shopping center on Wirt.
In the 2200 block of Wirt just south of Kempwood at about 3:15pm, two armored vehicle guards exchanged gunfire with two armed robbers. The holdup was unsuccessful and the suspects ran off.
"We heard the gunshots. We were over at the carwash, and then they came here and starting shooting some more," said eyewitness Andre Mora. "When they started shooting toward the carwash, we heard the clinks on the gate, so we ducked down. After we stopped hearing the gunshots, we actually got up. I stood up and I could see them running down that street."
We're told the two suspects carjacked somewhere just around the corner in their effort to get away. That vehicle was quickly ditched, and they got into another vehicle as they fled the scene.
The witness says the suspects were running down the street with their weapons in plain sight.
The police investigation is ongoing.
local, jessica willey
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 6 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Vigil held for women slain in Galveston County
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast 40 min ago
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Pharmacists prescribe 'Monster Spray' for kids 46 min ago
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves
- Police: Red light runner caused wreck in downtown Houston 16 min ago
- Woman delivers her own baby on drive to hospital
- GM excluded crash deaths from ignition inquiry