Allegations of animal cruelty could mean charges for northeast Houston homeowner
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The SPCA was called to a northeast Harris County home Thursday afternoon to check out allegations of animal cruelty.
It reportedly started over the weekend when the Harris County Precinct 1 Constable's Office was contacted about the case inside a home near Dominic and Laura Anne.
They obtained a warrant and entered the home to find what they say were nine adult dogs and four puppies -- all of the German shepherd variety -- in bad shape, some in a closet. They also say there was feces on the floor.
There were also four children, ages 6-17, inside the home with their mother. They were turned over to their maternal grandmother.
"No food, no water. The inside of that home was deplorable. It's not a place to raise children," Harris County Pct. 1 Constable Alan Rosen said.
"This guy made it seem like I had 20 something dogs in the house, I was barely taking care of the kids, they were living in terrible conditions. And nothing is further from the truth," dog owner Kenneth Battle said.
The animals were taken to be evaluated. Once officials determine the extent of the dogs' injuries, they'll look at filing chares against the homeowner.
The homeowner disputes the allegations, saying the dogs are fine, and that they have food and water. He says he trains them.
CPS will do their own investigation on the children.
Once the children and the animals are evaluated, criminal charges will be determined. The constable tells us at the very least, the owner faces animal cruelty charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 13 min ago
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns