Houston pastor, civil rights leader Rev. William Lawson celebrates 85th birthday at Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A well-known local pastor and civil rights leader is celebrating his 85th birthday.
Hundreds of people came out to wish Reverend William Lawson a happy birthday Saturday at the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church worship center.
Lawson became the church's founding pastor in 1962 and led the congregation for 42 years.
"When you get old, you always feel like you're going to be forgotten. Put on a back shelf," Lawson said. "It means a great deal when people say, 'We haven't forgotten you. We haven't deprioritized you. We still love you.' That's what all this says to me."
Lawson, who is the father of Eyewitness News anchor Melanie Lawson, says he hopes he helped bring people together and make Houston feel more like a community than a big city. And he wants to continue mentoring young people to carry on that legacy.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 13 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos