Houston mom accused of covering up daughter's death appears in court; Former foster mother speaks out
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As the mother of two children -- one in state custody and the other presumed dead -- sits in jail, the former foster mother of the kids is speaking out.
The news of 26-year-old Sabrina Deleon's arrest breaks the heart of Kischa Hernandez. She was the foster mother for Deleon's children.
"They were our babies," she said. "Carmen was a little princess and loved her tutus. Lee'Ona wanted to do everything Carmen did."
Deleon appeared in court this weekend for the first time and heard the charges against her.
According to the court clerk, Deleon told multiple lies about the whereabouts of her daughter, Lee'Ona, then confessed to disposing of the child's body after the little girl had a seizure and died.
"She admitted she didn't call 911 or seek medical assistance because she did not want to get into trouble," the court clerk told us. "She wrapped her child in a blanket and put her in a trash can and put her body out with the garbage."
Deleon is charged with of injury to a child by omission, for not getting the girl medical treatment, and tampering with evidence, for the improper disposal of the body. Bond was set at $150,000 for each charge.
Hernandez -- now a mother to two biological children -- wishes there is more she could have done for the children she cared for.
"It's been bad for all of us," she said. "We couldn't sleep."
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates as we continue following this case.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Katy ISD student reportedly abducted from campus 12 min ago
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Child left sleeping on Pasadena ISD school bus
- Driver ends up in San Antonio swimming pool
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos