One dead in north Houston sports bar fight, shooting
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An argument at a north Houston bar erupted in gunfire early Saturday, leaving one man dead and the suspects on the run.
The bar's owner wouldn't talk to us on camera, but said the argument was over a woman, and the victim -- a regular customer identified as 39-year-old Jesus Geraldo Solis -- got caught in the middle.
Police got the call just after 2am, for an assault in progress at Vara's Sports Bar in the 2700 block of the North Freeway near Jewett.
Investigators say it started when a man tried to force a woman to dance with him.
"The individuals entered the bar close to closing time [and] immediately began to confront bar patrons that were already inside," HPD Homicide Sgt. Brian Evans said.
Solis reportedly intervened, telling the suspect the woman had a boyfriend. That's when the suspect walked outside to get a gun.
"One was brandishing a firearm, and a fight quickly ensued with a patron that was inside the bar," Evans said. "One of the individual suspects reportedly was struck in the head with a beer bottle, possibly from another patron."
Police say the man with the gun started shooting, hitting Solis twice. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police are still looking for the gunman and two or three other men who were seen leaving the area in a silver sedan. HPD Homicide detectivesare asking anyone with information about the shooting to give them a call.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena 38 min ago
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire 40 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan 31 min ago
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive