Two home invasion suspects fatally shot by resident in north Houston, 1 other escapes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A home invasion Sunday in north Houston ended with two suspects dead and another on the loose.
It happened around 4:40pm at Oak Leaf Village Apartments in the 100 block of Dyna Drive near Chipman Lane.
Lile Pena was overcome with emotion as she described the scene inside her home. Pena says she was there with her husband, four children and their uncle when it all began.
According to Houston police, three armed men broke into the apartment.
Not even his mother's warm embrace could stop tears from rolling down seven-year-old Fernando's face as he recalled what happened.
"I was scared because I thought my dad was going to die," he said.
Fernando's eyewitness account of what happened to his family has been helpful to investigators as they piece the scene together.
"My uncle come with the hands up," he said. "My dad takes his gun out and then he shoots two, then one goes running outside."
Police aren't saying exactly how three armed men got inside, but investigators believe they were looking for money. Only one of the three escaped.
"There was a third suspect who fled the scene," HPD Homicide Det. Ivan Ulloa said. "We have very, very, very limited information on that person."
Investigators said the shooter was taken in for questioning, but they believe this was a resident rightfully defending his home and family. The case will be referred to a grand jury.
As extended family members heard what happened, they rushed to the scene.
"I'm relieved because it was either him or them," cousin Julio Lopez said. "Tragedy, but he's alive and I hope he'll get out because he was just protecting his family."
And while the man's oldest son is still very shaken, it's his father's actions that he'll remember most.
"He's a great hero," Fernando said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 10 min ago
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy 20 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold 43 min ago
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait 34 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Video: Flu widespread in Harris County
- Sneak peek at rare art exhibit
45 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos