Father killed after surprising burglars in his home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching for the people who killed a father of eight, who apparently walked in on his home being burglarized. It happened at Hanfro near Ferguson in north Houston.
It seems everyone in the neighborhood knew the beloved young father, and they're shocked the murder happened right at his own home.
The victim's family is suffering heartbreaking loss and overwhelming confusion.
"Everybody acts like they didn't hear nothing," said Kayauna Walker, the victim's daughter. "I know somebody around here knows something. Somebody knows something."
Kayauna and her seven brothers and sisters have lost their father. Dasalle Mason, 37, known to his friends as Trinidad Sam, was found dead in his driveway Tuesday morning.
Homicide investigator Michael Miller said, "Certainly they went to that house to rob that house. They drove past a lot of houses to get to that residence. Certainly there was something they wanted."
Houston police say intruders broke into Mason's back window Monday night. They ransacked the home, even smashing Mason's video surveillance system. Mason caught them inside around 10:30pm.
"There was a struggle," Miller explained. "There was gunfire and consequently the homeowner was shot and killed in his driveway."
Neighbors found Mason early Tuesday morning. They say he had been shot in the neck.
His friend Cedric Bullard said, "Maybe he knew something that he would never tell me. He seemed to think (his life was in danger) a lot."
"I was just with my daddy yesterday and I got a call this morning telling me that he gone," Kayauna said. "I mean, it's kind of hard for me."
No description is available of the suspects or their vehicle. If you have any information about this crime, you're asked to contact Houston police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning 20 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 57 min ago
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas 3 min ago
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses 51 min ago
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail 27 min ago
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records 29 min ago
- Video: Health care sign up deadline approaching 19 min ago
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Boy in need embraces spirit of holiday giving
25 min ago