Five suspects arrested, accused of taking part in drug ring
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Five Houston-area suspects accused of taking part in a large methamphetamine-trafficking ring were arrested Tuesday morning on federal drug conspiracy charges.
Gerardo Garcia, 34, Delfino Maldonado, 30, Christopher Mejia, 22, and Alexander Reyes, 30, all of Houston, were arrested on at least one count of possessing with intent to distribute various quantities of methamphetamine, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. A fifth suspect, Edmundo Reyes aka "Mundo" or "Bossman," also was arrested. The 34-year-old Spring resident is facing six counts of drug possession and conspiracy, as well as five additional substantive drug trafficking counts.
The suspects are all part of a seven-count indictment that alleges eight men worked together to distribute methamphetamine from February 2009 through June 2013.
Authorities had already arrested Jeremy Perkins, 32, of Louisiana, and Refugio Ibarra, 26, of Mexico. The eighth suspect, Salvador Izaguirre, 31, of Houston, is also charged but has not yet been arrested.
In addition to the arrests Tuesday, authorities say a search warrant resulted in the seizure of eight vehicles, more than $30,000, approximately nine ounces of methamphetamine and multiple firearms.
If convicted of the conspiracy charge, all defendants face a mandatory minimum of 10 years and up to life imprisonment as well as a $10 million fine. All substantive counts carry an equal or lesser possible sentence depending upon the amount of drugs involved.
Anyone with information about Izaguirre's whereabouts is asked to contact the U.S. Marshals Service at 713-718-4800.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale