Deputy fatally shoots dog in deadly Liberty Co. mauling
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A dog who mauled a woman to death in Liberty County was shot and killed by a deputy Tuesday evening.
Authorities say a resident down the street from where 63-year-old Linda Oliver was killed on Monday saw him in the woods behind his house. Deputies responded to the area, and when the dog charged at a deputy near a ditch, the deputy shot him twice killing him.
Before she died, Oliver called her husband for help after being bitten by the dog. Police say it was a stray which they had taken in. It first attacked their smaller dog, then turned on Oliver as she tried to break it up.
The dog is a black mastiff-rotweiller mix with a white spot on its chest.
"Law Enforcement had planned to tranquilize the animal if possible but his aggressive nature prevented this," the Liberty County Sheriff's Office said in a prepared statement. "However, the end results for the dog would have eventually been the same."
Authorities say the dog's remains will be sent off to a laboratory in Katy for examination on Wednesday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 10 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 46 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 28 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin