Carjacking victim tracks down alleged suspects
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a terrifying ordeal for a Houston woman who was carjacked at gunpoint, but refused to be a victim. Her car and phone were stolen at gunpoint at the Gulf Freeway at Ledge over the weekend. It was her own detective work that led to the suspect in handcuffs in southwest Houston.
The intersection of Highway 59 at Hillcroft was where the woman's car was finally spotted after being stolen two days before. The rightful owner filed a report with police, but she did some pretty amazing detective work on her own.
On Wednesday afternoon Monica Terrones went to an impound lot to assess the damage to what was taken from her at gunpoint.
"I feel like crying," she said at the sight of her car. "It's, like, useless now."
Monica was carjacked early Sunday morning at a southeast Houston apartment complex. She was staring down the barrel of a gun.
"When I didn't want to give him the keys to my car, that's when he put it on me," she recalled. "I gave him the keys and he walked away.'
He left in her car with her purse and her cell phone -- big mistake for him. For Monica, it was a way to track him down.
She promised, "I'm gonna find out and when I do, I'm gonna be mad."
Using her cell phone account, Monica tracked the phone's calls the suspect was making. One person called her back to say where the car could be found, directing Monica to a gas station in southwest Houston.
Police were called and there was a brief chase that ended with the car being wrecked. A juvenile and Quintin Devone Brown, 19, were arrested. Monica also found an Instagram picture in which he was posing atop what appears to be her car.
It was a satisfying ending for her, but not necessarily a happy one. Monica's wallet and ID are gone. She wants a new cell phone and her car is pretty much totaled. Even so ...
"I got the guys and they're in jail," she said. "I hope they get what they deserve."
She did get the guys. Brown has been charged with aggravated robbery and his juvenile accomplice has been charged with evading arrest. Monica plans to be at the trial.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident along Beltway feeder
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Moisture moves back with with rain chances rising