Father and son fatally shot during robbery at east Harris County home; 3 suspects at large
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An east Harris County family is looking for answers after a deadly home invasion.
Investigators say three suspects robbed a home in the 13100 block of Cutler Ridge early Saturday. They killed a father and son, but they spared the life of a 13-year-old.
This weekend was a nightmare for 13-year-old Roberto DeSantiago. He had a gun pointed at him and lost his father and brother in a shooting.
"He was pointing the gun, but he didn't shoot. He just left, so I immediately ran downstairs to see what happened," Roberto said. "My father was on the couch just trying to hold up, and my brother was already long gone."
Friends and relatives gathered Sunday night to comfort Roberto and his family as they were dealing with the tremendous losses.
Roberto says two men and a woman forced their way into the family's home around 12:55am and demanded jewelry, money and guns, although they told them they didn't have any.
When Harris County Precinct 3 Constable's Office deputies arrived in the early morning hours Saturday, they found 49-year-old Mario DeSantiago and his 21-year-old son Leobardo dead.
"I would just like to see their face, see who they are and why they did this because they destroyed a family," son and brother, Jose DeSantiago, said.
Pictures and memories are all they have now of the father and son. Family members suspect Mario and his wife may have been followed home shortly before the crime.
"I can't really understand why somebody would come over, you now? And take a few things and take two lives at the same time," cousin Tony Sanchez said. "It's really hard on us. My aunt is going through a lot right now. She's really traumatized."
Roberto said he remembers his father as a hard worker with a big heart.
The family gave investigators descriptions of the suspects. One is described as a short, heavyset black male in his mid-20s. A second suspect is described as a black male with a tall, slender build, said to be in his early 20s. The female is described as tall and slender with her hair in a ponytail.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office homicide unit is conducting this investigation. They ask that anyone with information about this case call Crime Stoppers at 713-221-TIPS (8477) or the Harris County Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit at 713-967-5810.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham' 58 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
58 min ago