Coast Guard rescues injured woman from boat 15 miles off coast of Galveston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The U.S. Coast Guard rescued a 54-year-old woman Saturday morning after she fell aboard a boat about 15 miles off the coast of Galveston.
According to officials, the woman fell and injured her back while riding on a 29-foot pleasure craft. The captain of the boat called Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston watchstanders around 8:15am to report the woman's condition and ask for help.
Watchstanders launched a boat crew from Station Galveston and airlifted the woman back to the station for medical attention.
"It's important to have a means to contact the Coast Guard on your vessel," said Zack Edwards, command duty officer at Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston. "In this case, the captain was able to contact us and ask for assistance from a VHF radio on board. That can make the difference in saving a life and in this case was the key to a successful rescue."
The Coast Guard reminds all mariners to do the following before heading out on the water:
- Wear a life jacket at all times
- File a float plan
- Check the weather prior to departing the dock
- Have a marine band radio and visual distress signals on board
- Have a registered 406MHz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon
- Have a Personal Locator Beacon
- Do not boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
For more boating information, go to USCGboating.org.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 59 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Boy, 2, FaceTimes to help mom instead of 911
33 min ago