Firefighter injured while battling house fire in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston firefighter had to be rescued this morning after getting into some serious trouble while battling a raging house fire on the southwest side. The tense moments come just over a month after four firefighters were killed in a motel blaze.
The fire broke out after 6:15am at the home on Quail Burg at Artwood. When fire crews arrived, they found heavy flames shooting from the roof of the home.
"I saw flames coming out the back of the house," said witness Sherlonda Flem.
Houston firefighters rushed inside to attack the fire and check for residents. Nicole Hypolite and her family weren't home when the fire broke out.
"I came around the corner and saw the fire trucks," Hypolite said.
Firefighters were still working to attack the huge flames when several firefighters ended up having to rescue one of their own. The firefighter was pulled from the home and eventually placed on a stretcher. He was conscious and OK.
"Some sheetrock fell on the firefighter and slightly injured him, but he's OK at this time," said District Chief Johnny Smith with the Houston Fire Department.
For some though, it was a moment that brought back hurtful memories of a Hypolite tells Eyewitness News the fire started just above her bedroom and she's grateful she worked the graveyard shift and was away at the time of the fire. "I sleep pretty hard, so if I was asleep, I would be dead right now," she said. Arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire. Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
Hypolite tells Eyewitness News the fire started just above her bedroom and she's grateful she worked the graveyard shift and was away at the time of the fire.
"I sleep pretty hard, so if I was asleep, I would be dead right now," she said.
Arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
local, samica knight
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Law enforcement training program suspended 1 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- HPD looking for suspect in sexual assault near Montrose 2 min ago
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 27 min ago
- Three Webster officers indicted for official oppression 2 min ago
- Girl, 5, surprises deaf parents at holiday... 18 min ago
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond