Police: Man suspected of being drunk during 2010 crash that killed three teens still fugitive
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It has been exactly three years since two mothers saw their daughters. They died when a drunk driver plowed into their car. Police know who that driver is and have a rough idea of where he is, but he has yet to be arrested or charged.
Every anniversary, every birthday of their daughters' deaths is a frustrating reminder that the man believed responsible is free, an international fugitive they hope will one day face a jury in Harris County.
With balloons in Avianca Cortez's favorite color pink, family and friends prayed for peace on this difficult day.
"I remember it all the time," Cortez's mother, Katty Alaniz, said.
Three years ago Tuesday, three teens were killed in a crash in northeast Houston when the SUV they were in was struck by a suspected drunk driver. Ajan Timalshina, 25, failed a field sobriety test but wasn't arrested. HPD has said they wanted to wait until toxicology tests were conclusive. But by then, he had fled the country to his native Nepal.
A month later, the sister of one of the victim's committed suicide, and three years later, Timalshina remains free.
"This man killed three people and one killed herself later. That's four young girls that had a life ahead of them. That's not right. His conscience should be eating him up right now," said Stephanie Collins, the mother of one of the victims.
The mothers are frustrated, though Collins has chosen to celebrate her daughter, Rashaunda Raleigh, on Tuesday rather than mourn.
"I've been smiling all day so she's where she's supposed to be at right now," Collins said.
And they will continue to mark anniversaries and birthdays with ceremonial gestures while also praying for justice.
"I'm not giving up," Collins said.
The U.S. does not have an extradition treaty with Nepal so there is no active search for Timalshina to bring him back to Harris County. However, the U.S. Marshals Office says if he starts moving around internationally, other countries are aware there is a warrant out for his arrest.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 30 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle 23 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues 42 min ago
- David Tillman's weather forecast
59 min ago