One dead in officer-involved shooting at shopping center in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities are investigating a deadly DPS trooper-involved shooting at a shopping center parking lot in the Copperfield area of northwest Harris County.
DPS officials say the suspect was trying to open up car doors as people drove near the shopping center in the 15000 block of FM 529.
The trooper reportedly confronted the suspect and asked him if everything was OK. That's when the suspect suddenly pulled out a pistol and the trooper opened fire, killing the suspect with a single gunshot.
"He didn't actually carjack anybody, probably because the car doors were locked, but he was actually trying to open up car doors as the cars were going on FM 529," DPS Trooper John Sampa told the media.
Officials have not yet released the name of the suspect or the trooper involved. However, they did say the trooper is a veteran officer who has been serving the Houston/Harris County area for about 12 years.
"Right now, the Texas Rangers and Harris County Sheriff's Office are investigating the scene here," Sampa said. "We are in the preliminary stage of the investigation, and once we get more information, we'll follow up with you all."
Both FM 529 and the parking lot were busy with people Wednesday afternoon and people were rattled.
"I was just skateboarding right here in the parking lot and I just heard a loud pop. I thought it was a firework and then I look over and I see the commotion. People were running around and somebody was laying in the grass over there," an eyewitness said.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'