One killed, another on the run following shootout outside northeast Houston grocery store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are still a lot of questions about exactly what happened in a Fiesta Mart parking lot Thursday morning. Two men were shot, one is dead and there were plenty of people around when the gunfire began. It all happened in the parking lot of the Fiesta on Jensen in northeast Houston.
Nallely Corrales had a heart-pounding start to her workday.
"I heard three gunshots," she said. "I just jumped up and was like, whoa, what was that? Because it sounded so close, then all of the sudden I saw cops. I assumed, yeah, there was a shooting."
The shooting was right outside her window in a Fiesta parking lot, around 10:15am. Police say it started with an attempted carjacking.
Sgt. Christy Smith with HPD Homicide said, "We had a couple individuals who had met up here and got into a shootout. We have one dead person on scene, one injured at a hospital, one being interviewed right now."
Investigators recovered two guns from the scene, as evidence. They confirm the man being questioned did fire a weapon before a security guard detained him. But they aren't publicly connecting the dots between the three men.
"We're not ready to say until we get further in our investigation, to say who is a suspect and who's a complainant in this situation," Sgt. Smith said.
Nearby resident Larry White was getting a laptop fixed across the street with his granddaughter. He says he's witnessed crime in the area before.
"I've seen some guys snatch money out of the cash register and run out in the parking lot," White said. "I think the security needs to be beefed up."
Corrales agrees that's not a bad idea. She's scared to be in the area alone, after starting her day witnessing a deadly shooting outside her window.
She said, "It's just right here in front of my office. And it could've happened to me."
local, sonia azad
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 16 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Man banned from Walmart for life
6 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos