16 hurt in multi-vehicle crash on Tri-State in Gurnee | 3 children in critical condition
July 12, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) -- A chain reaction crash involving six vehicles on the Tri-State Tollway near Gurnee has injured 16, and left three children in critical condition.
The crash involved several families on their way to the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
Dr. Bruce Hyman told ABC7 that 16 people were brought to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and three children were admitted in critical condition.
Some other children involved in the accident have already been released from the hospital.
"It was the first one that I was ever in, I didn't hear much, I just heard the airbags come in and then the back of the car that was flipped over hit us," Alina Lara, 9, car accident victim.
"There was a big semi-truck, it hit the car behind us, and then the car behind us hit the car," said Jacob Watkins, 6, car accident victim.
One child remains in Libertyville, and the other two critically-injured children were airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Dr. Hyman said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 12 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom 27 min ago
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'