Aldermen honor doorman who stepped in to defend woman
July 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A Gold Coast doorman is being called a 'true Chicago hero' for stepping in when a man attacked a woman and tried to assault her.
Aldermen Ed Burke and Brendan Reilly presented a city council resolution to Cornell Wrightington. On June 23rd, he saw the man follow the woman into an alley.
Fearing for the woman's safety, Wrightington left his post as a doorman at 30 W. Oak and rushed to the alley. The attacker then fled.
"In my mind I was just doing something I thought was right," said Wrightington. "I saw a young lady in trouble, and I had to do something to assist her."
Police think the attacker assaulted another woman on June 17th. No one is in custody.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 42 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 6 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 53 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Big quake strikes off N. California, no tsunami threat 7 min ago