Aldermen honor doorman who stepped in to defend woman
July 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A Gold Coast doorman is being called a 'true Chicago hero' for stepping in when a man attacked a woman and tried to assault her.
Aldermen Ed Burke and Brendan Reilly presented a city council resolution to Cornell Wrightington. On June 23rd, he saw the man follow the woman into an alley.
Fearing for the woman's safety, Wrightington left his post as a doorman at 30 W. Oak and rushed to the alley. The attacker then fled.
"In my mind I was just doing something I thought was right," said Wrightington. "I saw a young lady in trouble, and I had to do something to assist her."
Police think the attacker assaulted another woman on June 17th. No one is in custody.
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?