Race to Mackinac under way
July 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A Chicago tradition for 105 years, 350 boats and thousands of sailors are all competing in the Race to Mackinac.
Family and friends watched as the boats leave the shore near the Chicago Yacht Club and pass Navy Pier.
"It's great weather it's a great event and we just thought we'd come and see all of the boats and knowing we had a horse in the race we wanted to see them head off on their way," said Damla Gerhart.
"It's a labor of love, it really is," said Jim Murphy, aboard Wind Shadow.
And it starts with a lot of preparation.
"Every year it's a different year, different weather conditions you never know what can pop up," said race participant Danny Burleson.
Once on deck, members of the team try and get their head in the game.
"You've got to concentrate a lot for a long time," said race participant Spencer Channell.
But also make sure to have a great time along the way.
"It's strikingly beautiful," Murphy said. "At one point in the race you go into shore up around the Manitaw Islands. You see the dunes it doesn't look like Michigan it looks like you are in paradise."
Some of the boats are expected to reach Mackinac on Monday.
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time! 44 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Police chase emu down I-35 near Austin 46 min ago
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak