Cypress gas station opening delayed due to damage from last night's storm
CYPRESS, TX (KTRK) -- A gas station in Cypress will be busy cleaning up a big mess left behind from the storms that rolled through yesterday. The winds were strong enough to bring down the roof.
It happened at the new Shell Station on Tuckerton Road at Queenston Boulevard at around 8pm.
The manager says the gas station was just days away from opening, but it appears the grand opening will have to wait a little longer.
"Big mess out here," said store manager Sadiqu Ali.
Cleanup and repairs are underway after Sunday night's combination of high wind and heavy rain caused this gas station awning to topple on its side.
"It felt like somebody ran into the back of our car," said storm victim Kayla Baur.
Underneath the debris were two families who had taken shelter in their car to let the rain pass.
"I felt the ceiling come and hit me on the head and looked outside the car," Baur said. "It was pretty terrifying."
Firefighters with the Cy-fair Volunteer Fire Department got everyone out safely and secured the gas pumps, three of which were sheared off in the collapse.
"I know she was screaming, 'I think the gas is on. I think the gas is on.' So we were worried that the whole thing was going to blow up," said Baur.
No one was inside the store or pumping gas because the new Cypress-area gas station was under construction and scheduled to open this week. That will now be delayed until all of this is like new, once again.
"There could've been more vehicles underneath, very lucky there were no (serious) injuries," said Robert Rasa with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department.
One woman was transported to the hospital. But firefighters say her injuries were not life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.
The National Weather Service says showers and thunderstorms are possible in the Houston area for much of this week.
local, sonia azad
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 7 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged 52 min ago
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom 34 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter' 45 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects