Cypress gas station opening delayed due to damage from last night's storm
CYPRESS, TX (KTRK) -- A gas station in Cypress will be busy cleaning up a big mess left behind from the storms that rolled through yesterday. The winds were strong enough to bring down the roof.
It happened at the new Shell Station on Tuckerton Road at Queenston Boulevard at around 8pm.
The manager says the gas station was just days away from opening, but it appears the grand opening will have to wait a little longer.
"Big mess out here," said store manager Sadiqu Ali.
Cleanup and repairs are underway after Sunday night's combination of high wind and heavy rain caused this gas station awning to topple on its side.
"It felt like somebody ran into the back of our car," said storm victim Kayla Baur.
Underneath the debris were two families who had taken shelter in their car to let the rain pass.
"I felt the ceiling come and hit me on the head and looked outside the car," Baur said. "It was pretty terrifying."
Firefighters with the Cy-fair Volunteer Fire Department got everyone out safely and secured the gas pumps, three of which were sheared off in the collapse.
"I know she was screaming, 'I think the gas is on. I think the gas is on.' So we were worried that the whole thing was going to blow up," said Baur.
No one was inside the store or pumping gas because the new Cypress-area gas station was under construction and scheduled to open this week. That will now be delayed until all of this is like new, once again.
"There could've been more vehicles underneath, very lucky there were no (serious) injuries," said Robert Rasa with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department.
One woman was transported to the hospital. But firefighters say her injuries were not life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.
The National Weather Service says showers and thunderstorms are possible in the Houston area for much of this week.
local, sonia azad
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 53 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- Make-A-Wish lets boy fly like Iron Man
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos