Cypress gas station opening delayed due to damage from last night's storm
CYPRESS, TX (KTRK) -- A gas station in Cypress will be busy cleaning up a big mess left behind from the storms that rolled through yesterday. The winds were strong enough to bring down the roof.
It happened at the new Shell Station on Tuckerton Road at Queenston Boulevard at around 8pm.
The manager says the gas station was just days away from opening, but it appears the grand opening will have to wait a little longer.
"Big mess out here," said store manager Sadiqu Ali.
Cleanup and repairs are underway after Sunday night's combination of high wind and heavy rain caused this gas station awning to topple on its side.
"It felt like somebody ran into the back of our car," said storm victim Kayla Baur.
Underneath the debris were two families who had taken shelter in their car to let the rain pass.
"I felt the ceiling come and hit me on the head and looked outside the car," Baur said. "It was pretty terrifying."
Firefighters with the Cy-fair Volunteer Fire Department got everyone out safely and secured the gas pumps, three of which were sheared off in the collapse.
"I know she was screaming, 'I think the gas is on. I think the gas is on.' So we were worried that the whole thing was going to blow up," said Baur.
No one was inside the store or pumping gas because the new Cypress-area gas station was under construction and scheduled to open this week. That will now be delayed until all of this is like new, once again.
"There could've been more vehicles underneath, very lucky there were no (serious) injuries," said Robert Rasa with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department.
One woman was transported to the hospital. But firefighters say her injuries were not life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.
The National Weather Service says showers and thunderstorms are possible in the Houston area for much of this week.
local, sonia azad
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 16 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 33 min ago
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack 49 min ago
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid 45 min ago
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube 43 min ago
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos