Employee tied up during robbery inside Deerbrook Mall
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An employee at a local mall suffered a frightening ordeal. Now police are searching for the man who tied her up and robbed the business. It happened at the Radio Shack inside the Deerbrook Mall.
Before the Deerbrook Mall even opened for business Tuesday morning, a criminal was hard at work.
Eyewitness Oscar Diaz said, "He had a hat on and glasses and a duffel bag."
Diaz was waiting for the salon where he works to open right across from the Radio Shack when he saw a man walk up to the door.
"It was before mall hours," Diaz said. "He knocked on the glass and she casually opened it."
Diaz says he didn't think any more about it. He just figured the employee knew the man, because she let him in the Radio Shack.
Humble police say the suspect told the employee he had a gun and once inside, he tied her up. Investigators say she was the only employee at the Radio Shack at that time.
Detectives tell us the suspect stuffed his bag full of phones and fled. It's not clear how the employee was able to escape -- whether she untied herself or had to get help.
Those living and shopping nearby say this case is a reminder that we all must always remain on guard.
Nearby resident James Rawls said, "It's everybody's job. We all should be vigilant and trying to watch out for criminals and people like that."
There are surveillance cameras all around the mall and in the store, but Radio Shack, Deerbrook Mall management and the police have so far been unwilling to share that video with us.
The employee was not hurt. The only description we can give you is vague, from that eyewitness who reports the suspect wore a hat, sunglasses and was carrying a duffel bag. Humble police are investigating.
local, kevin quinn
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena 34 min ago
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire 36 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan 27 min ago
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive