Parolee charged with capital murder in 1987 killing
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman was strangled in her north Harris County home 26 years ago. Investigators now believe they've solved Jacqueline Anderson's murder -- and the suspect was someone she knew.
After more than two decades, detectives are now charging a 71-year-old man, the victim's former neighbor, with capital murder.
After nearly 26 years and almost giving up hope, Jaqueline Anderson's family is finally getting some closure and answers into the widow's brutal murder.
"I thought I'd go to my grave believing I'd never see an arrest," said Tony Davis, Anderson's grandson.
Davis stood with cold case detectives as they announced the arrest of Roman Martinez, 71. Martinez was Anderson's neighbor and a man who detectives say the 68-year-old woman never knew was a recent parolee back then.
Sgt. Eric Clegg with the Harris County Sheriff's Office's cold case unit said, "She made the unfortunate error of hiring him to change the locks out on her home."
Investigators say the problem came when Anderson walked in on Martinez as the man was burglarizing her north Harris County home.
"On November 11, 1987 at about 7pm, she was found in a bedroom, hog tied with a rope around her feet, around her neck," Sgt. Clegg said. "She was strangled."
After reopening the case last year, detectives say evidence led them to back to Martinez, who they say recently admitted to Anderson's murder and burglary. The 71-year-old is now facing capital murder charges.
"Just throw him in a wood chipper," Davis said. "It's just going to feel good to have it behind me."
Martinez has a lengthy criminal history that extends back to the 1950s. This record of convictions includes numerous burglaries, thefts, drug possession, aggravated robbery and rape by force. Martinez is currently a registered sex offender out of El Paso and on parole for a Harris County burglary until 2029.
Martinez is already in custody a state parole violator facility in downtown Houston and could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted on this murder charge.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County 21 min ago
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon 6 min ago
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home 48 min ago
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park 36 min ago
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation 24 min ago
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos
- Video: Surprise wedding shower for cancer survivor... 20 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Surprise wedding shower for cancer survivor...
20 min ago
- Take a trip to Santa's Town
15 min ago