Small town police department thinks big in terms of technology
MAGNOLIA, TX (KTRK) -- It seems there's an online application for everything nowadays and that includes fighting crime. One local police department is using technology to keep its residents in the loop.
Magnolia, Texas has a population of just 1,400. It may not be a large city, but it's big in the way it's approaching 21st century police work.
"It's critical for us to be able to give them information that is contemporary," said Magnolia Police Chief Domingo Ibarra.
Through the use of two new online systems, Magnolia PD can release or gather information almost instantly.
One of the sites is called Safe Town. Magnolia was the first in the state to use its interactive crime mapping technology and share it with the public the minute the incident reports are approved.
Chief Ibarra said, "It really doesn't matter what your demographics are. What matters is what your philosophy is. If in your philosophy you want to be transparent, you're going to look for ways to communicate openly with the public."
Nixle is another site Magnolia employs.
"Nixle allows us to reach out to our community at the click of a button," explained James Senegal with the Magnolia Police Department.
It allows anyone to sign up for email or text messages that alert users to dangerous weather, traffic problems or situations like the one a few months ago when a train collided with an 18-wheeler in town.
Soon those alerts will go to traditional phone lines for residents who aren't high-tech.
On Safe Town, residents will able to leave anonymous tips.
Senegal said, "With that anonymous tip, we're able to have a two-way dialogue without ever revealing who that citizen is and retrieve whatever information may be available to us from that citizen."
It's a small town police department, trying to do some big things.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, tom abrahams
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 59 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Notable events that happened on this date in history 46 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast 14 min ago
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today? 11 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets 56 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with packing tips from a pro 18 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with packing tips from a...
18 min ago