SUV driver plows through several southwest Houston townhomes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a rude wake-up call for families in southwest Houston after a suspected drunk driver plowed his SUV into their homes.
It happened on Sandstone at Cook after 6:30am. Police say the vehicle went through one home at an angle and then struck two neighboring homes. The accident left behind substantial damage.
"I'm in disbelief right now because I just went and looked at everything," said victim Maria Kittrel.
Shaken, but otherwise alright, Kittrell, she doesn't know what to make of the SUV which barreled into her front living room.
"But it's weird because he went through two houses to end up in my house," she said.
A driver tried to make the turn, but instead plowed into Jonathan Prescott's home. The SUV driver went through one wall of the duplex, into an empty attached unit, only to end up in the next door neighbor's house. Thankfully, Prescott was resting in a back bedroom.
"If I had been sitting there where I normally sit to watch TV by the end table and the couch, I'd been gone," Prescott said.
"I'm very thankful. My daughter could have gotten hurt. He could have gone through the rooms or just anything. He could have killed somebody," Kittrel said.
It was a close call for everyone. Those witnesses say the driver ran off but was arrested by police a short time later.
"He didn't want to take responsibility," said Kittrel. "Somebody could have gotten hurt and he wouldn't have cared.
Despite the mess, Kittrell only cares now, about the importance of what was not lost
"God was watching over us today, because everybody is OK. That is all that matters right now," she said.
Police say it's possible alcohol was a factor in this crash. The driver may also face a charge of felony criminal mischief for all the damage he caused in the wreck.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation 2 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling
- Dead body found in pickup in Richmond 5 min ago
- Third person dies following SXSW accident 7 min ago
- Armed suspect shot, killed by officer in Baytown 16 min ago
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
27 min ago