18-year-old shot at massive northeast Harris County party
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A young man was fighting for his life Sunday after someone opened fire during a party in northeast Harris County, and neighbors say the violence was completely out of place for their neighborhood.
According to neighbors, it started with a massive house party with hundreds of people at a home in the 7100 block of Oak Walk in the Atascocita South neighborhood.
"Just mobs of people in the streets. Loud voices and stuff," neighbor John Heickman said.
After a while, Heickman said he heard gunshots. Then, there was chaos.
"Running up and down the street, freaking out," Heickman described. "Most of them were young people, like teenagers from Humble High School."
When Precinct 4 Constable's Office deputies got there around 2am, they found an 18-year-old man shot several times in the legs and chest. He was taken by Life Flight to a nearby trauma center.
A short time later, officers stopped a car full of people nearby, one of whom they think may have been the shooter.
Neighbors tell us the wild party is unusual for this normally quiet neighborhood, which usually doesn't see upwards of 300 young people in the streets.
"It is uncharacteristic of this neighborhood," James Clements said. "This neighborhood's always been really quiet."
"An upscale neighborhood like this, people will come to retire or just to get to a better place for their kids, and so you don't expect these kinds of things," Heickman said.
Investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Office searched the bushes and shrubs in front of homes on Oak Walk, looking for evidence. The neighborhood was quiet once again, but shaken by the violence.
"We were all pretty shocked that this whole thing went down," Heickman said.
"I'm not against kids having fun," Clements said. "But once they start carrying weapons and getting out there, that's not a good thing."
This case remains under investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Two dead in NW Houston nursing home shooting 12 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire 26 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf
- Toddler flown to hospital after dog bit him in the face
- Woman says used car's sweet deal turned sour
- Volunteer fire chief dies while battling Brazoria Co. fire