Man accused of holding four 'prisoners' held against their will in Houston home remains jailed
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man accused of holding four elderly men against their will for their public assistance checks now faces charges, and more could be on the way.
As this case continues to make national headlines, Walter Jones is still in the Harris County Jail facing two felony charges.
A purple-trimmed house at the corner of Whitecastle and Old Ledge Lane is getting a lot of attention right now. It's unwanted attention, according to neighbors, and all because of Jones.
"You'll never know what's going on around here man. It's just a shock to the whole Willow Run community," neighbor Terrance Anderson said.
Eyewitness News' cameras were rolling as Jones appeared in court before a judge Monday morning. Police say the 31-year-old held four men captive in the converted garage of the house for years, allegedly depriving his victims of food and forcing them to sign over their government checks to him.
"It's crazy man, to do people like that. It's really shocking," Anderson said.
Investigators say one of Jones' oldest victims was a 79-year-old man who claims Jones misled him and locked for years in a room where the windows and doors were nailed shut.
Prosecutors say the man claims Jones tortured him by beating him with a cane and cutting off his finger, among other things.
"He was severely malnourished and dehydrated to a very, very severe extent," Assistant Harris County District ATtorney Lynn Parson said.
An anonymous tip lead police to the house on Friday.
When Eyewitness News showed up after Jones' court appearance Monday, family members ran inside and refused to open the door. Occasionally, someone would draw back the curtain from a window in that alleged room of torture to peek outside.
Jones tried hiding his face as he left the courtroom. He faces two felony counts of injury to the elderly and is being held on bonds totaling $400,000.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 43 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site 7 min ago
- No jail for teen who admits being drunk in deadly wreck 7 min ago
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act 34 min ago
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party 53 min ago
- Attempted robbery at McDonald's foiled by quick-thinking worker 21 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof 49 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- David Tillman's Thursday weather forecast
45 min ago