10-year-old boy shot while sleeping in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 10-year-old boy is recovering after he was shot as he slept inside his southwest Houston apartment overnight Monday.
The shooting happened at the Summer Crossing apartment complex on Beechnut near Wilcrest.
"It sounded like machine guns," said resident Erica Newsome. "It sounded like a series of 10 shots."
It's a sound Newsome did not expect to wake up to.
"It was so loud. It sounded like it was right at my door," she said.
Police say a gunman opened fire late Monday night in the middle of the southwest Houston apartment complex.
"They were standing right there when they fired off," said eyewitness Tony Lofton "That's where they found all the rounds at."
Bullets struck shutters and a staircase, and shattered windows. At least one bullet penetrated through the wall of apartment 821 and struck the 10-year-old boy who was sleeping in apartment 803.
"I saw the little boy today and he's innocent," said eyewitness Mardoqueo Garcia.
Neighbors say the little boy's family called 911 and he was transported to the hospital. Houston police tell us Arzate, who was just an innocent bystander, is expected to be OK. But for now, there are no suspects and no motive for the shooting.
That's frustrating news for many residents who are now worried about their safety.
Parents who heard the gunshots are panicked.
"It wasn't even my children and we were terrified," said Newsome.
It was terrifying enough for Newsome to move out.
"We're moving this week," she said. "This was enough."
Investigators say they still don't know who the intended target was. Police had detained someone at the scene but they later determined that person was not connected to the shooting.
Anyone who may know anything is being asked to contact police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 8 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County 42 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 54 min ago
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS 37 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 44 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives? 42 min ago
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 10 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again!